Oliver Wendell Holmes Sr Love Quotes and Sayings
#1 HOMESICK IN HEAVEN
1. For there we loved, and the place we adore is home, residence that our ft might leave, but now not our hearts, although o’er us shine the jasper-lighted dome:—The chain might lengthen, nevertheless it by way of means of no means parts!
#2 A MORTAL ANTIPATHY
2. Love is the master-key, he went on thinking, — love is the master-key that opens the gates of happiness, of hatred, of jealousy, and, most just of all, the gate of fear. How awful is the only fact of beauty!
#3-4 THE PROFESSOR AT THE BREAKFAST-TABLE
3. The sound of a kiss isn't so loud as that of a cannon, but its echo lasts a deal longer.
4. Youth fades; love droops; the leaves of friendship fall; A mother’s mystery hope outlives them all. (A Mother’s Secret)
#5-6 THE AUTOCRAT OF THE BREAKFAST-TABLE
5. Though fortune scowl, although prudence interfere, One factor is certain: Love will triumph here!
6. One might by way of means of no means be counted himself in eternity by way of means of the mere fact of getting liked or hated any extra than by way of means of that of getting thirsted; love and hate have no extra individuality in them than single waves within the ocean;—but the injuries or trivial marks which exclusive these whom we liked or hated make their reminiscence our own forever, and with it that of our own personality also.
Sayings from Oliver Wendell Holmes Sr.
#1-5 THE PROFESSOR AT THE BREAKFAST TABLE, 1859
1. Poets are by way of means of no means young, in a single sense. Their gentle ear hears the far away whispers of eternity, which coarser souls should journey toward for rankings of years earlier than their stupid feel is touched by way of means of them. A moment’s perception is typically value a life’s experience. I even have frequently viewed children, lengthy exercised by way of means of ache and exhaustion, whose good points had a unusual appear of developed age. Too typically one meets such in our charitable institutions. Their faces are saddened and wrinkled, as though their few summers have been threescore years and ten.
2. …the actual faith of the international comes from ladies a lot extra than from men,—from moms most of all, who hold the important thing of our souls of their bosoms.
3. Truth is tough. It won't break, like a bubble, at a touch; nay, you might kick it about all day, like a football, and it'll be spherical and complete at evening.
4. Don’t be “consistent,”—but be merely true.
5. The longer I live, the extra I am glad of NULL things: first, that the truest lives are these which are cut rose-diamond-fashion, with many factors answering to the many-planed factors of the international about them; secondly, that society is all the time making an attempt in a few method or different to grind us down to a single flat surface. It is difficult work to withstand this grinding-down action.
#6-13 THE AUTOCRAT OF THE BREAKFAST-TABLE, 1858
6. Every now after which a man’s thoughts is stretched by way of means of a brand new thought or sensation, and by way of means of no means shrinks again to its former dimensions. After watching on the Alps, I felt that my thoughts had been stretched past the limits of its elasticity, and geared up so loosely on my vintage tips of area that I needed to unfold these to suit it.
7. I discover the vast factor on this international isn't so a lot the place we stand, as in what direction we're moving: To attain the port of heaven, we should sail typically with the wind and frequently in opposition to it,—but we should sail, and never drift, nor lie at anchor.
8. It was that of the thoughts of a bigot to the student of the eye; the extra pale you pour on it, the extra it contracts.
9. Nothing is so common-place as to desire to be remarkable. Fame frequently involves these who're considering about one thing else,—very hardly ever to these who say to themselves, “Go to, now, allow us be a celebrated individual!”
10. Insanity is typically the logic of an excellent thoughts overtasked. Good psychological machinery should damage its own wheels and levers, if one thing is thrust amongst them immediately which tends to cease them or opposite their motion. A weak thoughts would now not acquire drive sufficient to harm itself; stupidity typically saves a person from going mad.
11. Put now not your belief in money, but placed your funds in trust.
12. Man has his will,—but lady has her way!
13. You might set it down as a fact which admits of few exceptions, that these who ask your opinion truly desire your praise, and may be contented with nothing less.
#14 MEDICAL POEMS: THE MORNING VISIT
14. Learn the candy magic of a joyful face; Not all the time smiling, but at the least serene, when grief and anguish cloud the frightened scene.
#15 THE EDINBURGH MEDICAL JOURNAL, VOLUME 17, PART 1: PERISCOPE
15. The younger man is aware of the rules, however the vintage man is aware of the exceptions. The younger man is aware of his patient, however the vintage man is aware of also his patient’s family, lifeless and alive, up and down for generations.
#16 LETTER, MAY 27, 1889, TO POET AND REFORMER JULIA WARD HOWE ON HER SEVENTIETH BIRTHDAY
16. To be seventy years younger is typically far extra joyful and hopeful than to be forty years old.
#17 THE PROFESSOR AT THE BREAKFAST TABLE
17. I assume you might discover that of us who actually imply to be true truly contradict themselves a lot extra hardly ever than these who attempt to be “consistent.”
#18 THE POET AT THE BREAKFAST-TABLE
18. It’s faith in one thing and enthusiasm for one thing that makes a life value watching at.
#19-20 ELSIE VENNER: A ROMANCE OF DESTINY
19. Be well mannered and generous, but don’t undervalue yourself. You may be useful, at any rate; you might just as effectively be happy, whereas you're about it.
20. Well, we docs see so a lot of families, how the tips of the blood hold breaking out, just as a lot in individual as they do in looks, that we can’t assist feeling as though a vast many of us hadn’t a reasonable threat to be what is referred to as ‘good,’ and that there isn’t a textual content within the Bible higher value preserving all the time in thoughts than that one, ‘Judge not, that ye be now not judged
Thank You and Good article OLIVER WENDELL HOLMES SR LOVE QUOTES AND SAYINGS this time, hopefully can benefit for you all. see you in other article postings.
You are now reading the articleOLIVER WENDELL HOLMES SR LOVE QUOTES AND SAYINGS with the link address https://www.lionize.me/2018/09/oliver-wendell-holmes-sr-love-quotes.html